Friday 10 September 2021

Self watering methods for the yard and garden

 

Here’s a unique and interesting form of self-watering using terra cotta!

Most people think of terra cotta as the popular planters that grace many gardens and businesses.

But with the environment a major concern and using water more efficiently many other methods or watering and self-irrigation methods are appearing. This includes ancient watering methods such as the olla.

This you tube shows the use of an olla (unglazed clay pot) for watering. It’s an interesting method I have not seen before.

Growing up in an area that has abundant water made me a little careless with my water supply. But after a few dry seasons and sever droughts and watching other area suffer I have come to understand that water always needs a to be used wisely.

It is a resource that needs to be appreciated and not misused. So I now practice saving water. I use rain barrels, better watering methods for the yard and gardens and have replaced plants that use too much water.

The following you tube shows how to make an olla if you are a potter or want to try a new craft.

I used to create pottery so this video was enjoyable to watch. Also the idea of burying a pot in the ground for watering is an idea I will have to try.

They are calling for a dry growing season so if I can cut my watering time down and conserve water waste at the same time this would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to repair a terra cotta pot

  I have a large beautiful strawberry terra cotta planter that I did not place away from the elements as well as I should have. So it has a...