Sunday 10 October 2021

How to repair a terra cotta pot

 


I have a large beautiful strawberry terra cotta planter that I did not place away from the elements as well as I should have. So it has a small amount of damage. If I repair it now before out gardening season gets underway I may be able to save the planter.

There are several ways to repair terra cotta. Depending on the pot and its sentiment you may wish to fix it. I myself think terra cotta is great and use these pots more than others.

My terra cotta strawberry pot is 3 foot tall. I have some of the terra cotta flaking off the one side. Here is one way to repair a terra coot pot.

Terra Cotta Repair for Glazed or Unglazed Garden Pots

  • Clean off all dirt thoroughly. This means scrubbing and washing. If the pot is very dirty I use baking soda and a toothbrush. White vinegar will also clean pots. If the dirt is light regular dishwater will do the trick.
     
  • Once the pot is clean and dry, pry open the crack slightly with a thin shim.
     
  • Apply waterproof silicone caulk into the crack
     
  • Next remove the shim and wrap a length of wire or cord around the pot to hold the crack closed.
     
  • If you used wire twist the ends of the wires together with pliers until the crack is closed and held tight. Cord is a little trickier to get a tight close to the crack and enough pressure. It helps to have help so corner a family member!
     
  • Let the silicone dry thoroughly. Instructions are on the tube for drying times.
     
  • Remove the wire or cord when the pot is dry and set.
     
  • Carefully scrape away any excess silicone.
     
  • This will work on small to medium cracks

I will try this process if my terra cotta paste does not work.

Terra cotta paste

My problem is the terra cotta is flaking in a 3-inch spot on my pot. If its not fixed it will just get worse and the pot will be ruined. So I plan to take old terra cotta pieces I have from broken pots and grind it up into fine sand. Then I will add glue and make a thick paste I can smooth onto the pot.

I will smooth it into place and let dry for several days. If it works I will then sand it and add a sealer to this section to make sure the patch stays in place.

Hopefully it will work and save this wonderful pot. I’ll let you know how the project turns out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

How to repair a terra cotta pot

  I have a large beautiful strawberry terra cotta planter that I did not place away from the elements as well as I should have. So it has a...